photo credit: panayotis via photopin cc
Emotional affairs are affairs of the heart and, because of that fact, can be just as threatening to a committed relationship as sexual infidelity. Furthermore, these affairs may start off as emotional, but over time usually become sexualized. In fact, emotional affairs may actually be more dangerous to a primary relationship in the long run, due to the large emotional investment, which is the glue that holds intimate relationships together. This is not always the case with sexual affairs.
What Causes Emotional Affairs?
- Lack of closeness, intimacy or trust in the primary relationship
- Boredom or loneliness
- Conflict avoidance
- Poor impulse control
- Experimentation/exploration, or pursuit of novelty – can become sexual
- Desire to live out certain romantic/sexual fantasies
- Inability to ask for what is desired emotionally/sexually from their partner
- To get revenge
- Personal immaturity or lack of maturity about commitment
- Difficulty being honest
8 Signs of Emotional Affairs
What To Do
Like this article? Read more articles on relationships here
Need help moving past an emotional affair? Visit My Relationship Counseling Web Page
Overcome Chronic Stress, Sadness or Relationship Problems
Join My Email List & Download Your Free EBook:
Stop the Struggle: 5 Steps to Breaking Free from Chronic Emotional Pain & The Dreaded Inner Critic
– Revised Edition
Your email address will never be shared and you can unsubscribe at any time.