by Glynis Sherwood
Here’s a list of books that my psychotherapy clients and I have found to be helpful, practical or just plain inspiring in the journey to becoming the people they are meant to be.
- The Abandoned Child Within: On Losing and Regaining Self-Worth Hardcover ~ Kathrin Asper
- Adult Children of Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents ~ Lindsay C. Gibson
- All About Love ~ Bell Hooks
A psychological and philosophical discussion of love in the 21st century.
- Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Up’s Guide to Getting Over Narcissistic Parents ~ Nina W Brown
- Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving ~ Pete Walker
A guide for recovering from severe childhood trauma that lingers into adulthood.
- How to Break Your Addiction to a Person: When and Why Love Doesn’t Work ~ Howard Halpern
- Hold Me Tight ~ Sue Johnson
Highly successful Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) you can do with your partner at home.
- In Quest of the Mythical Mate: A Developmental Approach To Diagnosis And Treatment In Couples Therapy ~ Ellyn Bader & Peter Pearson
- Mother’s Who Can’t Love: A Healing Guide for Daughters ~ Susan Forward
- Motherless Daughters: The Legacy of Loss ~ Hope Edelman
- Nice Girl Syndrome: Stop Being Manipulated and Abused – and Start Standing Up for Yourself ~ Beverly Engel
A guide to help women overcome the pressure to please others, and feel free to be their true selves
- Psychopath Free: Recovering from Emotionally Abusive Relationships With Narcissists, Sociopaths, and Other Toxic People ~ Jackson MacKenzie
- Reform Your Inner Mean Girl: 7 Steps to Stop Bullying Yourself and Start Loving Yourself ~ Amy Ahlers and Christine Arylo
- Ready to Heal: Breaking Free of Addictive Relationships Paperback ~ Kelly McDaniel
- Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls ~ Mary Pipher
- Self-Therapy: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Wholeness and Healing Your Inner Child Using Internal Family Systems ~ Jay Earley
- The Fantasy Bond: Structure of Psychological Defenses ~ Robert W. Firestone
- The Lies We Tell Ourselves: How to Face the Truth, Accept Yourself and Create a Better Life ~ Jon Frederickson
A master psychodynamic psychotherapist reveals the ways we fool ourselves and how to get unstuck.
- The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to recognize it and how to respond ~ Patricia Evans
- Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in Their Struggle for Self ~ Elan Golomb
- When the Body Says No ~ Gabor Mate. The role of psychological stress in chronic illness.
- Will I Ever Be Good Enough?: Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers ~ Karyl McBride
- Women, Sex, and Addiction: A Search for Love and Power ~ Charlotte S. Kasl
What books have you found to be helpful for your personal development or healing journey? Please add them in the Comments section below.
photo credit: francisco_osorio
Need more help? Counselling is available in person in Vancouver Canada or by Video worldwide.
Click here to request an appointment
Glynis Sherwood – MEd, Canadian Certified Counsellor, Registered Clinical Counsellor (BC), specializes in recovery from Family Scapegoating, Low Self Worth, Anxiety, Depression, Trauma, Complicated Grief and Addictive Behaviors.