Here’s a list of books that my psychotherapy clients and I have found to be helpful, practical or just plain inspiring in the journey to becoming the people they are meant to be.
- The Abandoned Child Within: On Losing and Regaining Self-Worth Hardcover ~ Kathrin Asper
- Adult Children of Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents ~ Lindsay C. Gibson
- All About Love ~ Bell Hooks
A psychological and philosophical discussion of love in the 21st century.
- Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grown-Up’s Guide to Getting Over Narcissistic Parents ~ Nina W Brown
- Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving ~ Pete Walker
A guide for recovering from severe childhood trauma that lingers into adulthood.
- How to Break Your Addiction to a Person: When and Why Love Doesn’t Work ~ Howard Halpern
- Hold Me Tight ~ Sue Johnson
Highly successful Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) you can do with your partner at home.
- In Quest of the Mythical Mate: A Developmental Approach To Diagnosis And Treatment In Couples Therapy ~ Ellyn Bader & Peter Pearson
- Mother’s Who Can’t Love: A Healing Guide for Daughters ~ Susan Forward
- Motherless Daughters: The Legacy of Loss ~ Hope Edelman
- Nice Girl Syndrome: Stop Being Manipulated and Abused – and Start Standing Up for Yourself ~ Beverly Engel
A guide to help women overcome the pressure to please others, and feel free to be their true selves
- Psychopath Free: Recovering from Emotionally Abusive Relationships With Narcissists, Sociopaths, and Other Toxic People ~ Jackson MacKenzie
- Reform Your Inner Mean Girl: 7 Steps to Stop Bullying Yourself and Start Loving Yourself ~ Amy Ahlers and Christine Arylo
- Ready to Heal: Breaking Free of Addictive Relationships Paperback ~ Kelly McDaniel
- Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls ~ Mary Pipher
- Self-Therapy: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Wholeness and Healing Your Inner Child Using Internal Family Systems ~ Jay Earley
- The Fantasy Bond: Structure of Psychological Defenses ~ Robert W. Firestone
- The Lies We Tell Ourselves: How to Face the Truth, Accept Yourself and Create a Better Life ~ Jon Frederickson
A master psychodynamic psychotherapist reveals the ways we fool ourselves and how to get unstuck.
- The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to recognize it and how to respond ~ Patricia Evans
- Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in Their Struggle for Self ~ Elan Golomb
- When the Body Says No ~ Gabor Mate. The role of psychological stress in chronic illness.
- Will I Ever Be Good Enough?: Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers ~ Karyl McBride
- Women, Sex, and Addiction: A Search for Love and Power ~ Charlotte S. Kasl
- Boundaries After a Pathological Relationship ~ Adelyn Birch
- Whole Again ~ Jackson MacKenzie
- Psychopath Free ~ Jackson MacKenzie
- 30 Covert Emotional Manipulation Tactics: How Manipulators Take Control in Personal Relationships ~ Adelyn Birch
What books have you found to be helpful for your personal development or healing journey? Please add them in the Comments section below.
photo credit: francisco_osorio
Need more help? Counseling is available by Video worldwide.
Click here to request an appointment
Glynis Sherwood – MEd, Canadian Certified Counselor, Registered Clinical Counselor (BC), specializes in recovery from Family Scapegoating, Low Self Worth, Anxiety, Trauma, Complicated Grief and Love Addiction.
Overcome Chronic Stress, Sadness or Relationship Problems
Join My Email List & Download Your Free EBook:
Stop the Struggle: 5 Steps to Breaking Free from Chronic Emotional Pain & The Dreaded Inner Critic
– Revised Edition